Sunday 2 November 2014

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - PC

Over the last week I've been playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter on PC. Just wrapped it up and thought it was a thoroughly entertaining experience.

It's a first-person mystery adventure with a heavy emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving. Each section can be tackled in any order and a huge part of the game's appeal was I was free to wander off the beaten path and look for interesting points in the landscape.

I wasn't hoping to discover secrets or side-quests - I was looking for the best angles to fully appreciate the game's stunning scenery. It really is a beautiful game with a selection of jaw-dropping vistas to gawp at. I took a bunch of screenshots during my eight-hour adventure - and they look great thanks to the fact the game has no HUD cluttering up the screen.

The story left me a bit puzzled and I can't say it particularly grabbed me, while the puzzles ranged from immediately obvious to completely obscure. It's only available on PC at the moment but a PS4 version is on the way. Definitely worth a closer look.

 
 
 

No comments: